Thursday, June 25, 2009

The King of Pop

No, I'm not talking about Dr. Pepper, the delicious soda, I'm talking about the legendary Michael Jackson. His death may have made me a little sadder than it might have, had it happened a month or so earlier. This being because over the last month or so, ironically, I've been having an inner battle with myself over what my favorite Michael Jackson song is. It all started when I was in New Mexico with my girlfriends and we were discussing this very topic. I've always thought that "Billie Jean" was my favorite, when Lindsay said that she preferred "Human Nature". And I thought to myself, you know, that Human Nature is a pretty great song. So, when I came back home, I did some soul-searching and michael-listening and I feel like it is an appropriate time to tell the world that my #1 is now....."Human Nature" (I concede, Lindsday).
With a very close #2 of "Billy Jean".
Followed by "I want you back" (Jackson 5) in the #3 spot. (and if I had a #4, which I don't, because I think I'm going to keep the list at a trim 3 spots, it would for sure be "Thriller").
Even though he got progressively weirder over the years. He sure made some great music in his day. (My top 3 songs can be heard on my sidebar music player). The world will miss that one white glove.
(This is how I prefer to remember him, all normal-faced with a cute cuddly baby tiger).

What M.J. song is your favorite? Inquiring minds want to know.

13 comments:

Rynell said...

Thriller and Billy Jean (can't decide between them). I didn't even know he died. Wow.

lisa said...

So sad. I will always remember where I was when I heard that Michael died (I was in the shower). My favorite is "Wanna Be Startin Somethin".

Maybe we should vow to only listen to Michael for the next week as a tribute.

Margo said...

I am mourning. I just found out about this loss. I went to see a Michael Jackson concert when I was 9. What good memories. I love all his classics.

Kim said...

Say what!? I can't believe this. Thriller is my current fav. I had been learning the dance to it but got sidetracked with our move and everything. I am recommitting myself, right now. It's the least I can do to remember MJ.

Sarah said...

i know, so sad, such a legend. i was at the bank when it came up on the breaking news. thriller is for sure my favorite, you just can't beat that music video.

Kristen said...

Beat It. My friend and I made up a dance to it when we were 9. It was a pretty good dance inspired by a great song.

Briana said...

Oh man, can I narrow it down? I love Wanna be startin' something, Don't stop til you get enough, black or white, The way you make me feel, thriller, and of course back to the jackson 5-- i want you back, ABC, the love you save. . . i heart him. I was sad

Unknown said...

a sad sad day for the music world that is a definite. i went to show last night and they were playing tons of MJ in memory of the late, great King. it was a hip hop show, talib kweli. so it was great to hear them mixing it up w/ jackson.

Jeniece said...

Loved too many of his songs to narrow it down, but glad the weirdness is over. I prefer to remember him just like that picture too.

Francine said...

I think my favorite has to be Billie Jean. Of course I have too many favorites to name the song in the second spot. I also was very sad. I am a little older than you so really did grow up with the Jackson 5 and then Michael solo. I think I was around 13 when I first heard them sing. The Jackson 5 were pretty amazing and then over the years, there was no one who could match Michael Jackson's talent.

Jules said...

I'm not sure what my favorite is. I need to really ponder that. I loved "You Are Not Alone." One time in high school I was listening to Delia (oh, you know what I mean, love songs and dedications) and Someone dedicated this song to the name of my boyfriend at the time. I thought it was funny because I really liked the song, and hey that's my boyfriend's name. Turns out it was really for my boyfriend. There was some girl stalking him. Didn't you LOVE the Black or White video?

Audrey said...

When I heard it took me back to freshman year when you and Kate indocornated me on the glory of the Jackson 5. Just one of the ways my life has been forever changed by you:)

Nguyen Family said...

I'll keep with your top three aproach
The way you make me feel
Billie Jean
You are not alone

what a legend