Thursday, January 8, 2009

She's leaving me for Academia


So, G was lucky enough to be able to start at her new school this week (it's a magnet school and is supposed to be really great). And as excited as we are about this, I am having a bit of a hard time with it. Kindergarten is full day at her new school. After I dropped her off at her first day, I just drove around sobbing and listening to "Gracie" by ben folds (see sidebar music thingy) on repeat. It wasn't pretty.
I just realized that she is in full day school now and will be forever. After elementary, it's highschool, college, and then onto the white house. Full speed ahead is not really my ideal speed.
And secondly, I'm having to learn how to parent Bubba on my own without G's help. I know, yikes, right?
Thirdly, since I haven't made too many friends yet here in my new town, G is pretty much my bff. Now who's going to tell me when my outfit looks stupid? Or give me a funny look when someone at the library's crack is hanging out as they are leaning over to get a book off the bottom shelf? Bubba certainly isn't.
And most importantly, who's going to potty train Bubba? I was sort of counting on G to do it. I guess I can go ahead and forget about that.

11 comments:

Audrey said...

I know your pain. I felt like I lost a little bit of Maddy when she went to all day school. Grace's picture of you is priceless, at least you can feel better that I am going to be 30 two months before you.

Kim said...

You are awesome. Move back to Ohio and I'll be your bff! Heck, I'd be so thrilled I might even potty train S for you!

Katie said...

I know what you mean. There is a 5-day preschool around here that a lot of people do and I just can't bring myself to put Jonah in it. I can do 3-day, but 5 day (and this is just half day) seems way to much for a 4-year old to me. I'd miss him and what would I do with Wyatt every day? He'd be bored to tears without Jonah.

Evaly said...

Our girls are growing up! :( It's so happy and sad at the same time. Good luck with Bubba- maybe he needs a little sibling :)

Bethany said...

I read this and I just about starting crying for you. Thankfully Reagan is only in half day kindergarten. I don't know what I am going to do next year. Good luck!!!!

Kim said...

PS I love Ben Folds but I had never heard that song. Love it. I wish there was an equally rad song with my name in it! :)

Anonymous said...

I feel sorry for you but loved reading hour humorous account of Grace leaving for Academia. I really liked the song Gracie. I had never heard it before, but you and Jared could have written it about your G. You don't know how true it is about the stages going by so fast. As Grandma, I know. So enjoy it!

Sara said...

Oh man, I'm sorry! I can't even stomach the thought of all day long. You'll have to pass along your survival tips come August when Libby starts first grade!

Rynell said...

I feel your pain. This is why Max is in preschool this year, well that and his birthday is 4 days before the deadline.

(my word verification: captive. hmmmm.)

pamela said...

it's posts like this that have me kicking myself and saying "why can't i be funny like vanessa!"

Jules said...

I know!! Full day kindergarten sucks. Well, Isabella likes it, but it sucks for me. She has had the flu this week, and I think I pressured her to stay home today even though she is probably fine.

And is G a brainiac already or what?