*Flash-back* to about 6 weeks ago when the “Cream Truck” (aka: ice cream truck) started driving through our neighborhood on daily basis calling to the kids by blasting “The Entertainer” from it’s speakers. I made it very clear that they would never get any ice cream from the Cream Truck. I wasn’t trying to be mean, but you see, J or I never got ice cream from the ice cream man growing up and we were simply trying to uphold a long-standing family tradition. My children would stare out the window longingly, watching the Cream truck stop for other kids all the while knowing that that ice cream would never be theirs.
*Flash-forward* to G’s star chart. The reward that she picked for reading was, you guessed it, ice cream from the Cream Truck. Neither my cheapness or my respect for a fine family tradition could justify telling her no after she had done such hard work getting those books read on her own.
So the other day, when we heard “The Entertainer” in the distance, G froze and then starting shrieking. She continued the shrieking until the ice cream man handed her the power-puff girls popsicle that she picked out.
16 comments:
This story is too funny!
We never got ice cream from the ice cream man either. I totally understand the joy that must have filled G's heart. I love the part about you falling and then the driving nailing the sign. Nice moments.
Good luck with the house!
Karen
Those are the greatest pictures. Don't you wish there were still things that you got so excited about that you looked like G in those pictures!
love it. i mean, the story, not the cream truck. i hate the cream truck.
I am cracking up!!! I too, have repressed childhood memories of not getting ice cream from the truck, until I hit about 12 and would go to the swimming pool with my friends and had babysitting money (yes, at 12. I'd never let a 12 year old watch MY children). Those Andy's Fries were so delicious along with those gobstoppers I'd get with the ice cream.
sooo cute! I love the cream truck!
SERIOUSLY Ness, you crack me up! I always make Adam read your blog, and we both have a good laugh. Miss ya,
That is so funny. Gracie is squealing frantically and you're rolling around in the lawn. You guys act like you've never seen an ice cream truck before! :)
I'm cracking up! Darling pictures!
We never got ice cream growing up either...how sad! So funny that you tripped and rolled while the Cream Truck crashed! That made me laugh:)
That is hilarious! You have such a way with telling a story. And look at her face! I guess 6 weeks of reading was worth it :)
I made the mistake of giving into the ice cream truck two years ago, and everytime that it comes down the street my girls scream and run around the house trying to find me to ask if they can have one. Last week i decided to hide when I heard the music. It was pretty funny/scary how worked up they got when they could not find me. I finally had to come out so our neighbors would not start to wonder if someone had died. We had to have a discussion about the only way to get ice cream is to remain calm and ask nicely.
Hmmm...Jared, I hate to tell you, but I believe that I got ice cream from the Cream Truck when we went to Grandma and Grandaddy's house (not from M&D, of course, but from Grandaddy). This must be another version of the "What did Elizabeth get you for Christmas?" story if you never got ice cream at Grandaddy's house. Sorry . . .
Speaking of grandparents and Cream Trucks, why is it that no way Jose did we ever get anything from the Cream Truck from our own parents, but now that they are grandparents, I'm sure they'd be happy to buy treats from the Cream Truck man for S&G? Well, Mom anyway . . . :)
We had our 1st visit from the Cream Truck yesterday. I don't know where Bria found 3 dollars, but she was able to get 3 ice creams for her and her brothers... and the Ice Cream guy gave some little kids free ones since they had no money. Nice huh!
I don't know if you read our blog, but we changed our blog address to http://littlesugarlotsofspice.blogspot.com/
I'm laughing so hard that I'm crying! J loved the treat, by the way.
Those photos are CLASSIC...What a hoot!!!
Post a Comment