my own little cowboy......and cowgirl!


I recently learned something new about myself. I like Westerns. Well, I'm not 100% on that, but I'm pretty sure. I've only actually watched 2: Lonesome Dove and Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid. Lonesome Dove was my first, and it took J many many tries to get me to watch it. I finally gave in, but only because a) we were newlyweds, and i wanted to seem 'agreeable', and b) I thought it would give me something to make fun of, and i like to make fun of stuff. Well, I was very pleasantly surprised because, let me tell you what, that movie is phenomenal. (and i don't generally use that word unless there is chocolate involved). It had action, and cowboys, and loyalty, and love.
And just about two weeks ago, J convinced me to watch Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid. And even though I Loved Lonesome Dove, I thought that possibly and probably, this whole thing about Westerns actually being good was all a big mistake. But after seeing this movie, I'm thinking I'm on to something here. It was out-of-control good, I'm thinking maybe better than Lonesome Dove...
I'm wondering if I should try some more Westerns out just to be sure. If you are a Western fan, let me have your best recommendations. And if you're not, well, maybe you just think you're not (much like i did for most of my life). All I'm saying is, maybe you like Westerns, too.
12 comments:
Vanessa-
I'll have to check them out. Jared loves westerns but the few we have watched...I zonked out on. (That is not to say they were boring or not good...we just watched them when I was tired...) One we watched that Jared LOVES (and we actually own if you want to borrow it) is "The Magnificent Seven" Another one we watched that I stayed awake for most of was "Wyatte Earp" - I think they were both good...(but you'd have to ask Jared for sure...)!! :)
i feel like i don't even know you anymore. westerns?
you are funny. maybe i do like westerns. i'll probably never find out.
I used to love westerns, but there aren't many good ones anymore. John said to try "Dances With Wolves". Its very long, but good.
R-
You crack me up. I especially like that you watched Lonesome Dove so you could make fun of it later. Yes, LD and Butch Cassidy are both fabo. Just goes to show that you're a true Neal; I believe we all love them both. :) Try Open Range--Annette Benning and Kevin Costner (don't let the Kevin Costner part turn you off). It's good too. Full of "action, cowboys, loyalty, and love."
Vanessa, that is a very serious question! I love movies and here are some must-sees. First of all, they have John Wayne, Gregory Peck, and James Stewart, so how can you go wrong? You can just stare, if nothing else. 1, Rio Bravo, 2, The Big Country, 3, Either Winchester 73 or The Far Country. (Dances With Wolves? I don't recommend it, it's too cliche but I guess you can watch Kevin Costner dance with indians, or wolves, which ever.)
I have to second the "Dances with Wolves" comment, not the best movie. I really tried to watch it but spent most of it with my eyes closed. Anyways, we are fans of westerns. Isaac's room is all cowboy. And apparently the name Seth is a western name, that is what people tell me here in Michigan.
Jared!!!! I found you guys through Julie's blog! Your family is so cute! Do you remember me? Freshman year...Arches...? if you like Westerns...try Young Guns (try the TV Version - edited from an R)...and Tombstone. They are great movies, in the wild west. As for your wrestling uniforms and names. Those are classic! So fun to see your cute family!
Nessa! I read this and laughed so hard Dan thought I needed to be medicated. I miss you! As for the Westerns, I'm one of those who is in serious denial about any enjoyment of the genre as a whole so I'm not the one to ask. Dan however says Silverado is worth the effort if you're still looking for a good one. Hope he's right, for your sake! :)
You're doing such a great job with this that I might just have to give it a shot myself. Scary! Keep it coming!! Love you!!!!
That pic of Gracie is incredible - those eyebrows are perfect. She's got a future on the stage and in front of the camera if she wants it!
It was so great seeing all of you the last couple weeks - we miss you so much and treasure the time we get with you!
Oh, and give The Outlaw Josey Wales, The Good, The Bad and The Ugly and Stagecoach a try.
hey Vanessa! I loved Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid. Greg made me watch them when we were engaged, adn I was just trying to be agreeable too. It's a great movie! We were on a Paul Newmann/Robert Redford kick, so we also saw "The Entertainer" which I highly recommend. I still can't appreciate the Clint Eastwood Westerns, but I like the old stuff!
Post a Comment